Pages

Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

felt pinecone, felt good

If you're crafty, then you know that the mood to craft often strikes at odd times.
I had been feeling under the weather and had just awoke from a two hour nap. Feeling refreshed, the mood to craft struck. It was 11 p.m. What, none of you nap at 9 p.m.? I get crazy on the weekends, I tell you.
Here's the product of my mood:
I followed the directions from this tutorial from Family Circle. My only beef with it was that it didn't have pictures. I like tutorials with pictures. So, I'm gonna one up the Family Circle - I offer you pictures.
Forgive the basement lighting, it was 11 p.m. mind you.

Here's what you need:
2 colors of felt
hot glue
freezer paper
iron
skewer

Select two complementary felt colors - I chose brown and yellowy-brown. Using an iron on medium heat, adhere freezer paper waxy-side down to both pieces of felt. 

Trace the pinecone "petal" template onto the paper and cut out shapes. 


Peel off freezer paper. Make a hole in the center of each petal with sharp scissors. Make petals sets, using one of each color. 

I found using an exacto knife to make the hole worked well.

Slide petal sets over a wooden kitchen skewer in the following order: A, B, B, C, C, B, B, A, D, D. Alternate the position of each petal so that they resemble a pinecone. Between every petal set, place a very small square of felt as a separator. Cut the excess dowel with scissors. Glue the E petals into a cluster and glue to the top of the pinecone. 


To make a stem, cut a small circle of felt with pinking shears and make a hole in the center. Insert a thin strip of twisted felt through the hole and glue the circle and stem to the bottom of the pinecone petals.


Et voila!

And here's it's happy new home on the fall mantle.

I'm thinking of making a few more to gather in a bowl. Just waiting for another mood to strike.

These would make a good homemade ornament for Christmas, don't you think?



Shared at: Blackberry Vine, Not Just A Housewife 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.