Pages

Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mantle Therapy

I shared with you guys my issue of getting the itch to change things up in my house.
And one of the easiest ways to keep my home feeling new and fresh is to change my mantle often.

After taking down all the vintage floral, I let my mantle sit completely blank for a week. Very atypical for me, but I was feeling uninspired.
But there's nothing like having company over to motivate me to decorate my mantle - so I walked around my house just picking up stuff and not thinking too hard about it.

I should do that more often - not think too hard.
 photo file_zpsf6b9126a.jpg

 photo file_zps8da2729e.jpg

I ended up staying in the turquoise, mustard, and bronze family (easy to do in this house) and just arranged what I picked up.
 photo file_zps6be48f49.jpg

 photo file_zps6c8122ea.jpg

 photo file_zpsb317c736.jpg

So, I've realized that this itch for change often comes from looking at Pinterest. Don't get me wrong - I love Pinterest as much as the next guy and it can be a great source of inspiration, but it can also be a breeding ground for discontentment. I find myself wishing for a bigger kitchen, a brighter house, and things I don't need or can't afford.
And that's not what I want to be doing. I want to be thankful for the things I have and the ways God has blessed me.

So, borrowing items from other places in my house requires a bit of rearranging, but it also forces me to be creative and appreciate items I already have by seeing them in a new light and a new place.
 photo file_zpsb756f9d7.jpg

 photo file_zps5a431a19.jpg

An exercise in contentment: What's something really great that you love about your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.