Pages

Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

proudest monkey

yes, i am the proudest monkey. (and yes, i love dave matthews band.)
i made these. i know, i can't believe it either. my amateur sewing skills got me through.

it all started when i spotted these beauts on PB's website:
Chunky Ribbed Pillow Cover, 24", AlmondBobble-Knit Lumbar Pillow Cover
not willing to shell out $39 a pop, I decided to make my own. this meant a trip to the thrift store in search of discarded cable-knit sweaters. and lo and behold, a men's large cable-knit vest was just the ticket:
after seeing this photo, you may be asking yourself, "why would she cover up such a beautiful pillow?" ah-hem. no, the only reason i hung on to these 'beauties' that came with my couch is that their one redeeming quality is that they are actually pretty sturdy.

the red pillow is actually made from a last-season old navy sweater that i got for $1.97 when winter was turning into spring.

a simplified step-by-step for those who might want to attempt this:
1. Find sweater you want to use and pillow insert.
2. Measure how big to make your cover.
3. Cut sweater to appropriate size.
4. Fold over raw edges and sew a straight line.
5. insert pillow
6. hand sew final side using a blind stitch
7. admire your stitch
8. Love your new pillow!

so, i'd like to dedicate this post to my highschool home-ec teacher: Mrs. Sargent, thank you for teaching me how to sew. I am forever indebted to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.