Pages

Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

setting{s}

one of the most daunting things about having a digital SLR is learning the manual settings and then remembering how to use them to create the right picture. I've made it a point from day one of owning my camera not to use the auto setting but to actually learn to take pictures.

Photography Cheat Sheet

while on vacation, I used our lighthouse sun-setting experience to practice learning my aperture setting.
I've been loving my new lens because it goes down to a lower aperture (lets in more light) and it takes really beautiful pictures. But in this instance, it was too much light and I wasn't able to see the sunset very well.
f/1.8

I bumped it up just a bit to see if it would make a difference and I set the sun as my focal point.
f/3.5

I realized if I really wanted a clear sunset, I needed to bump it up a bunch which would make Josh more of a silhouette.
f/11

I think I like this happy medium the best.
f/6.5

Practice is the best instructor. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the one with the clear sun and silhouette. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments.