Pages

Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

tinge of pride

I grew up admiring my thrifty and frugal mother who made sacrifices so that she could stay at home and raise her four children. Part of these sacrifices included buying things second-hand. I can remember sitting down with my mother and scouting out all the yard sales in the local paper and circling the ones we wanted to go to. I loved going to yard sales with my mom. She'd buy us clothes and things we needed for the house and I would buy stuffed monkeys. I collected stuffed monkeys back then and let me tell you, I had a pretty impressive collection. I never saw any shame in buying someone else's old stuff.

This is still true for me. I sort of wavered in high school, working as a waitress, only to spend most of my paychecks on new clothes at the mall. But I came back to my roots. My mom and I still trade stories of fun things and great deals we've gotten from yard sales and thrift stores.  Sometimes I'll look down at myself and mentally note that everything I am wearing is from the thrift store - This whole outfit only cost me $8, I'll think to myself.



I feel a tinge of pride knowing there's just one more way I'm like my mother.




Thrift | Everybody, Everywear

10 comments:

  1. So sweet Shel:) I can't wait to do a little thrifting with you this weekend!!
    I'm so excited I am having trouble containing myself..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress!! That must be new...

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous! I love thrifting too.. memories like that are so worth it..
    TaƱa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Megan, I am also having trouble containing myself! Can't wait to have you back with me. Kerry, I got the dress about 2 weeks ago at goodwill! Tana, do you have good thrift stores in your area?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great colors in this outfit! that dress is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressive that this only cost you $8 to put together. And I love how you took this challenge and made it so personal by sharing with us the story of your mother. Such a nice touch! - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love thrifting too. I still buy new sometimes, but I just really prefer thrifting usually. I love that dress you're wearing too, so pretty. Each week I host a thrifting photo link up on my blog and I'd love if you'd submit something!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've always been a mix of new and used, but i definitely get my thriftiness from my mom, too.

    i LOOOOVE that print and orange!!

    caroline - pictures & words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodwill is where it's at, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments.