Pages

Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

confession & another craigslist win

I must preface this post with a tidbit of information about me. 
I really don't like to paint.
Which is a tough spot to be in for someone who loves/believes in DIY projects. It all started back when I lived in a townhouse and couldn't paint - throughout these years, I built up this grand notion about how amazing it would be to be able to paint my walls. Well, when we moved into our house and I finally could paint, my grand notion of how amazing and fun it would be was smashed into oblivion. It was not fun. It was long hours, hard work, and tediously taping off edges. It did not live up to my dream of Josh and I painting side by side, smiling and laughing, and flirting by smearing paint on each other. Not even close, my friends. In fact, if you come over, I'll tell you that I only wanted to do accent walls in several rooms of my house, but truth be told: I really don't like painting. 
I am in awe of people who can paint their entire house in a weekend (ahem, Megan). And am enthralled by people who can paint for a living. Okay, glad I got that out there.

Buuut, just because I don't like it - doesn't mean I don't do it. It's one of those necessary evils in life for me. Thus begins the story of my office french doors.

Saving up for french doors was something Josh and I decided we would do since Day 1 of owning our house. It just seemed like the perfect solution to separate the office from the living room. Well, we recently hit one year of homeownership and still no french doors. Why, you ask?

That's why. $329 always seems to find a more necessary home somehow.

Well, I may not be good at painting, but I am good at holding out for something I want for a decent price. Enter: a whim to search for french doors on craigslist leading to the purchase of the same exact french doors as pictured above for $70! Holler. We had to drive 45 minutes to get them, but it was still totally worth it.
The only problem - they were unfinished. Translation: they needed to be painted.
I spent the better portion of the ride home trying to convince Josh to paint them for me. He, in no uncertain terms, informed me that it would be my job to paint them. Sigh. Groan. Pout.
I dreaded the years of my life that taping off those window panes would steal from me. I may or may not have shed a tear thinking about it. 
Then, the heavens opened up, the clouds parted and we brought the doors in the house only to realize that the doors truly were brand new and still had the plastic seal over the window panes!! I think I started singing the hallelujah chorus.
Because it gave me the liberty to paint like this:



Quick, messy, and with no tape! I got the first two coats done the night we got them home! Boo-yah!

Let's just say I haven't been as timely with doing the finishing touches, but I'm almost ready for the final reveal. Get excited.

p.s. don't forget about the giveaway going on until friday!

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished doors in their place! Keep up the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new blog follower and I love it so far! I TOTALLY hear you on this! I used to love to paint but that was when it was someone else's house and they would tape off or cut in so that me and my big roller could come in and hide the boring wall color. I too am an avid DIY-er and it's one thing that honestly I will gladly pay someone to do, hence the reason our baseboard has sat unpainted for 2 years now.

    You are so stinking lucky! What a find! I swear I loathe all of you craigslist finders! Here people want just shy of retail for some 5 year old run down piece of yuck. Congratulations! I seriously can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragment guys! Stay tuned for the reveal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha well thanks for the shout out - and I am really glad those windows has the plastic seal on them because, let’s be honest here, I have seen the sigh, groan, pout face :) Can't wait to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly am in awe of your sheer determination and ability to paint, megan.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments.