Pages

Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

crafting & creating for a cause

We are apart of a great church. Josh is a drummer for the worship band and I hold babies in the nursery for an hour every Sunday. But recently, I was recruited to be a co-leader of the NOW 10/40 Interior Design Team. Bascially, we create displays for all the missions efforts and teams that the church supports. I have an awesome partner, who is super creative and continually inspires me. She and I work well together bouncing around ideas and then making them come to life.

It has been a fun challenge for me to take my love of crafting and creating and focus it towards a cause that is near and dear to my heart.
Here is the first display we did - it was to remind the people of the church to pray for the girls who were going on a missions trip to Thailand. We wanted to focus on the girls themselves and give it a sort of homey feel - so it would be like you were looking at a picture of a sister or a friend on your living room wall and then remembering to pray for them.


Our church works closely with an organization called Freedom 4/24 which "exists to raise awareness of the rampant sexual exploitation of women around the world, and specifically in Southeast Asia, while raising money to support Christ-centered ministries that seek to rescue women enslaved in the sex industry." If you are looking for a ministry to support - this is a great one. The ministry gets its name from the fact that $24 is what it takes to purchase a night of freedom for a Thai prostitute. During her 24 hours of freedom she will be presented with alternative means of survival including education, employment, English lessons, food and housing. 
Buy Shirts
You can go here and buy a t-shirt for just $24 - it could result in a lifetime of freedom for a woman in Thailand.


Our next display, was for our India team which leaves this week. 
Our church has a history in India so we built a timeline so the church could see what we had already done in this country. This year, the team is building a second story onto the school that was built so that 400 more children can attend.


That final piece of the timeline was to be filled with these notebooks.
In order to raise money to make this second-story happen, we sold the notebooks that people could take home and decorate and bring back so that the team could give them to the children that attend the school.
We were to write a note and personalize it for the child that received it.

Here's one that I did:


Our prayers are with the India team as they leave this week.

Watch for more updates on this crafting and creating for a cause.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you've found a way to use your love for crafting and creating to help God's kingdom prosper! Truly God has equipped us all with a talent that can help advance the kingdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you live in Lynchburg, VA? I went to Liberty University and lived in Lynchburg for about a year and half after I graduated. I just got married, and my husband and I moved to NC. My previous boss, Michelle Duncan and her husband David attend Brentwood :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I got to see some of the displays! I agree with Ker - God has given you so much talent and I love that you use it at Brentwood!! I’m so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, ladies!

    Cortney, yes, I am in Lynchburg! Brentwood is such a great church. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Shelby!!! Thanks so much for posting this. I LOVE what you are doing as a part of the NOW 10/40 team - what an awesome way to put this in front of people and help them to see what Brentwood is a part of around the world.

    Awesome shout out to F424, too! (: Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine - thanks for the kind encouragement! Always love to shout out for F424 - such an amazing ministry!

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments.