Pages

Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

ruffle invitations how-to

what is more girly than ruffles? not many things. so when i was brainstorming the invites for my friend's baby shower for her baby girl, all i could think was ruffles. 
so here's what i came up with:
If you have even the teeny, tiniest knowledge of a sewing machine, you can make these yourself. trust.

First, find a bit of fabric that you like for your invites. 
Then cut it into strips, one for every invite you have.
*side note: electric fabric shears are the bomb.

Next, set your sewing machine up with coordinating thread and set your stitch length to be a gathering stitch - the highest my machine goes is 4, so that's where i set mine. This is important for making your ruffle. Then sew a line down the middle of your strip.

Once your strip is sewn, take one of the loose ends of thread and start pulling. The fabric will start to gather and within a few pulls, you'll have a ruffle.

Then, set your stitch length back to a smaller length and sew the ruffle onto your invitation.

Do this for as many invites as you need. In my case, 12.


I think these could work for many different occasions and I'm already trying to think up an excuse to make them again sometime. Here's hoping some of you try your hand at these!

And be sure to let me know if you do! 

12 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I'm you're newest follower and I'm loving the DIY projects! What font did you use for the invitation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! So sad I can't be there:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these, I can't wait to show Baby Ana how much love her Aunt had for her before she was even born. Thanks again for doing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I'm still mad you got those electric shears from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cortney, thanks so much for following! Here is a link to the font I used on the invites: http://www.dafont.com/stitch-font.font

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, I wish you could be here too. :(
    Kerry, I do love her already. :) And you snooze you lose on the shears - I don't think you were really into crafting yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooooh, I LOVE those!!! super cute Shelby! question, what is typically referred to as a gathering stitch? i've read other ruffle tutorials before and i just don't know which one that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanessa, a gathering stitch is just a long stitch length. Like I said, the highest my sewing machine goes in length is 4, so that's where I set mine and it worked well! Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorbs shelb. I would totally come to that shower :) Can't wait to see baby Ana via FB!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to come visit and take photos of her, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the love, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments.